Articles regarding Use of Ski Resort and Facilities
1.1 At Rusutsu Resort, regarding skiing and other sports and activities on the snow, we abide by the rules and regulations stipulated below. All other items not stated in the following stipulation comply with Japanese law and follow the rules and regulations governing the Japan Ski Safety Standards (revised in August 1994) and local customs.
1.2 At Rusutsu Resort, we reserve the right to refuse passage to anyone who does not obey the rules and regulations stipulated in all following articles.
2.1 At Rusutsu Resort, we continue to take all appropriate measures to protect skiers from undue, unnecessary and unreasonable hazards, including those created by skier conduct, excess and attitude. Observe the code listed below and share with other skiers and boarders the responsibility for a great experience.
(1) The word ‘ski’ applies to ‘snowboard’ for snowboarders. It is also applicable to other snow sliding equipments. Regardless of how you decide to enjoy the slopes, always be aware that there are elements of risk in skiing that common sense and personal awareness can help reduce.
(a) Risks which may be caused by weather conditions such as snow/wind/fog.
(b) Risks which may be caused by variation in terrain such as cliffs/bumps.
(c) Risks which may be caused by snow conditions such as surface or sub-surface snow/avalanche.
(d) Risks which may be caused by natural objects such as rocks/trees/other natural objects.
(e) Risks which may be caused by man made objects such as lift facilities/buildings/snow vehicles.
(f) Risks which may be caused by contact with other skiers.
(g) Risks which may be caused by skiers’ own negligence.
(2) Do not ski in areas not within the boundaries of the resort. Do not ski on runs that have been determined closed.
(3) Keep a protective eye on your children at all times.
(4) At Rusutsu Resort, we will not accept responsibility for accidents or injuries suffered by people who do not follow the rules and regulations stipulated in this notice and the following articles.
Rules & Regulations
3.1 By accepting and using the facilities at Rusutsu Resort, you will be agreeing to the following rules.
(1) Do not threaten or injure other skiers.
(2) Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects. Skiers shall be the sole judges of the limits of their skill and their ability to meet and overcome the inherent risks of skiing and shall maintain reasonable control of speed and course.
(3) People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
(4) Skiers shall not overtake any other skier except in such a manner as to avoid contact and shall grant the right of way to overtaken skiers.
(5) Skiers shall look uphill and yield to other skiers when entering a trail or starting downhill.
(6) Skiers must not stop where they obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above. Do your best to clear the course after a fall.
(7) When walking uphill or downhill or resting, please stay to the sides of the course.
(8) Skiers must wear retention straps or other devices to prevent runaway skis and equipment.
(9) Observe all posted signs and warnings. Skiers shall abide by the directions and instructions of the ski area operators and ski patrol.
(10) Skiers, when involved in a skiing accident, shall not depart from the ski area without leaving their names and addresses if reasonably possible.
4.1 At Rusutsu Resort, we have the right to demand compensation for any loss or damage caused by skiers as a result of their negligence of the rules and regulations stipulated above.
4.2 At Rustutsu Resort, we will accept no responsibility for accidents or injuries suffered by people who do not follow the rules and regulations. Anyone who skis in a way which endangers their own safety, or the safety of others around them, will be held solely responsible and liable.
4.3 In case of an accident caused by the skiers’ negligence of the rules and regulations stipulated in the article 2.1(2), when they ski in areas not within the boundaries of the resort, we, independently or in cooperation with local authorities, will send a rescue party after we receive an SOS call from the skiers.
However, rescues are not free of charge. Individuals are solely responsible for their own safety and are liable for all rescue expenses incurred by the resort.
4.4 At Rusutsu Resort, within the boundaries of the resort and car park area, we will not accept responsibility for lost or stolen property or equipment. You are responsible for your own equipment and personal belongings.
However, we will accept liability for, but only to the extent of, any loss or damage sustained by you as a result of our negligence or that of our employees.
The above went into effect August 24, 2004.
Standards on Snow Sports Safety
The Japan Association for Skiing Safety (JASS) consts of all groups related to skiing and snowboarding. JASS discusses and studies ways to enhance safety at ski grounds while providing gwdelines on snow sports safety. Specific activities undertaken by JASS include making nationally unified signs and marks used at ski grounds, establishment of standards on snow sports safety, conducting surveys on snow sports injuries, and production and distnbution of pamphlets and posters on snow sports safety.